In women's toiletry bags or in their bathrooms, it is a treatment that has become essential for maintaining your skin. This is the anti-aging serum. Sometimes combined with an anti-aging cream, it helps delay the appearance of wrinkles. Although it pampers the skin with its moisturizing, antioxidant and anti-aging properties, it is not always easy to choose it. Here are our tips for selecting the perfect anti-wrinkle serum for you.
What is an anti-aging serum?
A serum is a cream whose concentrated formula provides the cells of the epidermis with maximum hydration and helps fight against premature aging of the skin. It combats the effects of sagging and buys time before the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. If this facial treatment is so effective, it is thanks to its formulation and its concentration. In fact, the serum constitutes an emulsion. Which means that its aqueous constitution allows its active ingredients to penetrate much deeper into the epidermis. This explains why in addition to fighting against the skin effects of aging, a serum often guarantees better hydration than cosmetic products that only moisturize. The skin also gains radiance.
What are the benefits of anti-wrinkle treatment?
Skin renewal needs to be stimulated, as does collagen production, which tends to decrease with age. To delay skin aging and the appearance of wrinkles, it is therefore recommended to use an anti-aging facial serum. The components of these products are chosen according to their actions: preventing oxidative damage caused by UV rays and pollution, brightening the complexion for more radiance or even calming inflammation.
Choose your anti-wrinkle serum according to your skin type
Like other treatments that we apply to our skin, it is essential to choose the right facial serum. Because depending on the characteristics of your skin, you will either opt for an anti-aging serum in oil, gel or fluid.
- Dry skin: the most suitable serum contains moisturizing properties.
- Oily skin: for optimal care, choose a serum with sebum-regulating properties. Texture-wise, emulsion is preferable to oil.
- Sensitive skin: prefer a serum with both anti-aging and soothing properties.
- Mature skin: mature skin often lacks hydration. The perfect serum is therefore one that combines anti-aging active ingredients and moisturizing properties.
Choose your facial treatment according to the appearance of your wrinkles
In addition to your skin type, you can also choose your lift serum based on the appearance of your wrinkles. The composition of the product depends on the issues it seeks to address. Many anti-aging serums aim for a complete anti-aging promise, and do not just act on the firmness of the skin or the anti-dark spots appearance. Hyaluronic acid smoothes the skin and makes it younger. It is therefore one of the key components of “youth formulas”.
- For deep wrinkles: opt for retinol-based products;
- For blemished and dull skin: choose facial treatments including vitamin C and antioxidants;
- For sagging skin lacking hydration and firmness: opt for a serum with collagen or hyaluronic acid. You can also look at an anti-aging cream with niacinamide, bakuchiol and peptides. Around the eyes or for skin care, these components fighting against the effects of aging will give a real boost to your skin!
- For wrinkles that are starting to appear and those that are already present: use smoothing treatments including a high dose of glycolic acid. The lifting effect will be maximum and you will see over time that your small furrows (especially at the corners of the eyes) will gradually fill in. It is recommended to apply it to the skin before going to bed, and before your night cream. If you absolutely need your moisturizer in the morning, skip the serum. If the serum manages to fill in your wrinkles without its texture drying out your skin, you can apply it alone.
How to properly apply your anti-wrinkle serum?
For your skin to regain its radiance, it is important to apply your product well to your skin. If your serum includes a pump, use just one squeeze. You will have the amount necessary to maintain your entire face.
- Massage the outside of the face and gradually work your way back towards your nose. Tap gently with your fingertips without pulling your skin outwards.
- Let the serum penetrate by gently massaging each area of your face. Focus on areas where you see fine lines and wrinkles.
If you also use a day cream or night cream, wait a few minutes before applying it.